Monday, February 16, 2015





Passion: most people I meet tell me that they have very little passion for anything and therefore it is very hard for them to pick a career. I have always felt that I have had the opposite problem. I am  feel passion for too many fields and possible professions. I am slowly starting to learn that I can satisfy these bugs in different ways than just trying to change careers a million times. Either way, I was finding myself in the same dilemma with approaching a project for this class. I can easily see myself in every one of the groups. So, how do I create a project that truly encompasses all the the aspects I want to explore? In my first blog there is was a strong theme of self- discovery and I truly believe I have been able to discover more pieces of myself by listening to others and reading about their journeys. That is why I want to interview a minimum of five people and try to learn more about their identity, their struggle, and their worldview. While as a class we have not yet explored this aspect of identity, there are many people who struggle with their racial identity and not because of external forces. I have met many people that seem to hate the racial category they are placed in. I must admit I didn't really listen to their arguments that seemed to be filled with stereotypes of minorities, instead I debated. Now I really want to listen and go beyond the stereotypes and truly try to understand how their racial identity affected them. I will have to study how great interviewers how able to inside the mind of the ones they are interviewing in order to understand the human condition in a better way. I will study how Barbara Walters, Diane Sawyer, Larry King and others were able to extract so much information from the people they interviewed without getting into a confrontation. If there is anything I have discussed in the two class we have had is that identity is complex.

After I gather all of my interviews I will try to edit it into a short video that will maintain the audiences attention. The full length interviews can be posted to our class website(if this is our main class project) for the world to see. It is very easy to judge front he outside looking in, but once one learns the motivations, intentions, circumstances around a situation true understanding can take place.  From these interviews we can see how language, race, identity, education may all play vital roles in the lives of these individuals. After completing my interviews, I want to write a few monologues that relate to the themes that emerges from the interviews and how it relates to my own identity. Actually, it is not 9:10pm and I just thought that these monologues will be based on the interviews! I am going to try(hopefully successfully) to bring to life the people I interview through a creative art form.

As for a class project I do believe a website where our work could continue to live is a great idea. We are going to learn from each other and that is a powerful goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment